Prep 10 min | Cook 60 min | Serves 4-6
I am not a chef or even a cook. I am a food preparer. So I am always on the lookout for healthy, simple, quick and, of course, yummy recipes. My mom sent this soup recipe to me several years ago and I always get excited when I come across it again! It is very simple, has few ingredients and is super healthy! It can pair great with a chicken breast or even some sliced tomato and avocado on the side. It makes quite a bit, so I love to eat on it for a few days. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon – 1 teaspoon (hotter) powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 medium zucchini, chopped
- 4 cups high-quality chicken broth
- Heat coconut oil in a large soup pot on medium heat, 2 minutes. Add onions, then smash garlic cloves with the flat side of a knife and add to pan. Stir often and cook until the onions and garlic are soft and golden, but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add salt, ginger, and black pepper; stir to combine.
- Toss the sliced or cubed zucchini into the pot. Stir to coat the zucchini with the oil, then cook until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Let the zucchini cook 30-45 minutes until it’s very soft.
- VERY carefully, purée the zucchini and broth in a blender or food processor, or with an immersion blender. If you’re using a blender, work in batches, filling the canister only halfway and holding a towel over the lid while you purée. Eat immediately, or store in a covered container in the fridge.
Yummy garnishes: I love to top it with some cubed avocado and chopped chives or green onions!